Pages

Wednesday, 7 September 2011

Sadness, Happiness. Not necessarily mutually exclusive.

I know, I know. What a horrible name for a blog. Might have to do with my misplacing my Catchiness Hat last night. Will endure to find it today so as to never bombard you so early on with  the world's longest blog title!

So I was just flipping through the archives of a favourite blog today, and found one that got me thinking about sadness, happiness and whether they really were the polar opposites everyone thinks they are or if they are rather two things that can exist in harmony.

Sound like a whole lot of bullocks? Hear me out.

This year has been a trying one. To say the least. And yet even though I've experienced the deepest sadness I've ever felt in all my short 23 years, I've also experienced pure joy. And a few times, simultaneously. There's a good chance I could just be going cuckoo, but something tells me that not only does one have to experience real gut-wrenching pain in order to really experience pure unadulterated joy but also that at times, that joy will only really come to you while you're in that pit.

The kind that makes you feel like  you could quite possibly be glowing. Literally. Making you check yourself out quickly in the Glassons window to see if you really do have golden lights streaming out of your ears and nostrils while pretending to be looking at the clothes on the mannequins as cover up.

I'm grateful for this year and this time. And most of all, for the joy that might not have come otherwise. As for the sadness? It's like Meg says: it always, always passes.


2 comments:

jo_an said...

:) Nice post Donna.! Keep up that blogging spirit. You're killin' it. Can relate to what you're saying - its reminds me of this saying I came across this year : “We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars." - Oscar Wilde (my 2nd favourite quote of all time!!)

lilidonna said...

Oh. Em. Gee. That's only like my favourite Oscar Wilde quote! I'm not even kidding you! I think it might even be in my "About Me" section on my Facebook page. Great minds... ;)