Pages

Sunday, 27 November 2011

Shake it out!

"It's hard to dance with the devil on your back, so shake him off."


I have a theory that we all walk around with a bit of a screen, a filter around us. Censoring the world and protecting ourselves. Maintaining  a certain level of apathy, because if we truly felt everything, it would destroy us. 


And I think we have our most amazing revelations in the inbetweens of our lives. In the breaks between our train of thoughts. In the pause before the next task. 


So today, I was pausing. Sitting outside a friend's house waiting for her to rejoin me outside to enjoy the sun and continue the conversation.
And the song that was playing (in wonderful phone speaker quality no less) finished. And Florence Welch's beautifully melancholic voice began to sing. And in my moment of pause-y openness, I began to drink in her every word. 


I was left dumbfounded. This lady had surely either read my mind somehow from thousands of miles away in England or had managed to live my life since leaving school, then proceeded to write a song about it. This very song. 
Of course millisecond later, I acknowledged how silly the thought really was and I knew. I knew that this problem/issue/life stage/rut of mine. It was universal. Millions if not all people have dragged the proverbial horse around. Haven't we all had the devil on our backs? Been left empty by a mess that was so final? We've all run into suffer and run into hope. This woman described so many things "me" yet "not just me". And left me so tangibly optimistic.  


"I am done with my graceless heart. So tonight I'm going to cut it out and restart...
... It's always darkest before the dawn"
- Florence Welch


*Note: I know the word "tangibly" probably doesn't exist. I just felt like I needed it to be an adverb rather than a noun. Rules are meant to be broken after all! ;)

7 comments:

jo_an said...

Pausing is something I don't usually do very often and I find myself constantly making notes in my mind to 'pause and take a moment'. I just never get around to actually doing it I guess.

Thank you for posting up and reminding me to do so.

Hope your having a good week.

lilidonna said...

Totally... Sometimes I find myself distracting myself in an effort to NOT pause. Just because the oblivion is easy to exist within. Sometimes you don't want life and life's realities to filter through, even if they'll only benefit you.
My new daily goal: to switch everything off and tune into whatever's happening (NOT whatever's on TV, or whatever's been posted up in cyberspace) at least once in the day. Wish me luck!

Good hearing from you again Joan!

xx

jo_an said...

I think I'll have to also set myself that very same goal!. Times have changed and we are always ONLINE (phones, television, radio, computers etc) now days, it can be overwhelming.

I had a break / moment the other day, just to myself reading and it was peacefully bliss.

:)

Mimi said...

"if we truly felt everything, it would destroy us" -- that is an interesting thought that i never would've contemplated if i didn't read it from your post. great point! :)

<3, Mimi
http://whatmimiwrites.blogspot.com/
$100 Shopbop Gift Card Giveaway

lilidonna said...

Thanks Mimi :)

Bina said...

I was in the process of my writing my profound first-blog-of-the-new-year entry, and it was inspired by 'Shake It Out', and as I was writing it all seemed so familiar, like I was repeating something someone else had said. It was this blog. Lol. I didn't even know this song when I read this entry, or even clicked on that link (sorry). So will it be cheating if for my post, I just have a link to here? Yea probs huh?

lilidonna said...

Defs not cheating Bina! In fact, I can't wait to read your post! This song is so amazing, I feel like anyone could be inspired to blog while listening to it no? :)

xx