Pages

Monday, 19 March 2012

Catching Up

My goodness, will you look at this! Beautiful!

Today I wrote, not a letter, but an email to an old friend. One of my oldest friends really. And boy did it feel good. Which got me thinking as to why I'd let months go by without doing so and how social networking sites had a huge part to play in all of this...

Sites like facebook have made it really easy to leave a photo or status comment here and there and have that serve as enough correspondence to sustain a friendship in one's head. But it isn't. Of course it isn't. And deluding yourself (or myself, I should be saying) into thinking so is just lame.

And I'm really only beginning to appreciate this now (late to the party, once again). I'm a single mum (my daughter's father is very supportive, I'm no warrior woman lol) and though life is absolute bliss with my kid (did I mention how in love with my baby I am? My sister teases me about it on a regular basis), it does get a tad lonely adjusting to a phase of your life that doesn't include having your friends around constantly. And for a while I got by on letting social media do all the work for me. This however is just not cutting it anymore. I'm now ready to get serious about "working hard to bridge the gaps in geography and lifestyle" as Mary Schmich put it in her legendary column, made famous in the great Everybody's Free (To Wear Sunscreen) by Baz Luhrmann.

Oh and by the way, here it is. I find that I can never get enough of it and probably listen to it at least once every couple of months. Whether I  follow through with this brilliant advice is another thing lol Still it's just so uplifting :)


Pardon all the bracketing and for straying a little towards the end but I felt my point had been made ;)

Happy Monday all. 

Donna xx


Image from here

No comments: